News Report – WWMT Channel 3

KALAMAZOO, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) – A local garden club updates the look of a local Veteran’s Memorial on Saturday [Aug 22, 2015].

The Westwood Garden Club, with the help of the community, has been able to update the Veteran’s Memorial in Parkview Cemetery.

The original memorial was built in the 1940’s.

Lorie Reed, the president of the Westwood Garden Club, said, “The steps are all cracked and crumbling and falling apart and the middle section was all gone.”

The club says the project cost about $140,000 and about 80 percent of money has been through donations. The other 20 percent has been done with fundraising.

Reed said, “Our garden club is 15 old ladies, we’d never gotten this done by ourselves.”

Several local companies not only donated their equipment and materials, but also their time.

Denny Crookston, of Crookston Poured Walls, said, “The way they’re getting treated right now we figured it’s our time to do something for them so this is what we can give ’em.”

The Kalamazoo Garden Council and City of Kalamazoo have also helped with the project.

The Veteran’s Memorial will be re-dedicated on Veteran’s Day on November 11, 2015.


Share this Post

  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Reddit
  • Stumble

You must be logged in to post a comment.

  • Help The Cause

    Honor a veteran today by
    immortalizing their service.
    Order Veteran Brick »
  • Help Us

    Do you want to contribute without wanting to buy a brick? You can! Donate any amount to help in our Veterans Memorial Ramp Project efforts.
    Donate to the Kalamazoo Veterans Memorial today
  • Popular Searches

  • Upcoming Events

    • Kelly Blaisdell on:
      Purchase a Brick
      I'm fortunate to still have my 85 yr old Uncle Jim Blaisdell with me. What an awesome way to honor him and let him know how proud I am of him. This is such a worthwhile project!! I've been trying to convince him to participate in the Talons Out Honor Flight to DC, but being in the WWII Air Borne, he said he is not used to "landing" in a plane. God Bless our Vets !!
    • Lowell Reynolds on:
      Purchase a Brick
      Thank you for doing this. My Uncle Merle is buried at the cemetery along with his parents. I was only 6 months old when he was killed in Korea. Not sure when he joined the Army. My Father & his brother, my Uncle Floyd, both served in the Navy during WWII. They to have both passed away. This will be nice to honor them, and to reunited them together as brothers in arms.
  • loading